Friday 18 March 2011

Like a duckling?


  
Lupinus polyphyllus seedling

I've always thought a lupin seedling conveys just the right amount of cutsieness.  The fat seed leaves, all dark glossy and succulent are shortly followed by lighter green palmate leaves, all edged in fuzz.  The combo of robust and delicate, smooth and fuzzy, remind me of all the perfections of new life.  Ducklings in particular!


There are nine lupins of this size growing away nicely.  They're one of my favourite cottage garden plants which I've been trying to cultivate for years.  I have a three year old plant, a blue 'Russell' type that I grew from seed (the only survivor of about 30) which is already looking promising for this year.  Now I come to think of it, I did save some seeds, where on earth?  Possibly the electric meter cupboard?  In addition to these nine young chaps, I also have a tray containing the rest of the seed packet that were started when these ones were pricked out about ten days ago.  I literally threw the remaining seeds in, poked them down and watered them in.  They seem to have germinated as well as those that I was extremely careful with.  I'm sure He Who Is Mostly Concerned With The Tidiness Of The House will be very glad when the living room window cill is freed up again -at the moment it's my germination zone.


Next post will be of the Nether Wallop Paper Potter.  How can you resist a name like that?


p.s. The Wiki link to lupins is very good if you are interested, they seem to grow all over the world.  I just found out the 'Tremolços' that I enjoy so much in Portugal are in fact a lupin bean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment